Friday, November 02, 2007

Director Throwdown II

In my first director throwdown, Andrew Adamson (Shrek, Shrek II, and The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe) went up against Brad Bird (The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, and Ratatoulle). The consensus of those who responded to that blog entry is that Brad Bird is the better director. I didn't say where I came down in the original post, but I'll say now: I, too, prefer Brad Bird (though I love both).

So now we move on to Director Throwdown II: David Fincher vs Christopher Nolan!

Why this match-up? Because I feel both directors make movies with a similar feel: gritty, dark, and both seem to love directing movies about psychologically disturbed men. Also, each have five or six directorial credits and that helps when comparing.

David Fincher's major directorial debut was on Alien 3 in 1992. While many folks don't regard Alien 3 highly, don't be to harsh on Fincher for this one: he was thrust into the role of director at the last minute and he had to endure studio interference in the plot from the beginning. After Alien 3, Fincher directed Se7en, The Game, Fight Club, The Panic Room, and most recently Zodiac.

Christopher Nolan's movies are at least as eclectic as Fincher's: Beginning with 1998's The Following and continuing with Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins, and The Prestige.

So it boils down to this:

Fincher's Alien 3 (in context), Se7en, The Game, Fight Club, The Panic Room, and Zodiac.

versus

Chistopher Nolan's The Following, Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins, and The Prestige.

Get. It. On!

3 comments:

Lord Mhoram said...

Well - ignoring alien 3 (for the reasons mentioned), I hated Se7en and Fight Club. On the other side the only movie I have seen is Batman Begins, which I loved.

So due to limited familiarity and tase I give it to Nolan.

Joe said...

I've seen most of the movies I listed (I won't see Insomnia out of principle--it has Robin Williams in it).

I love Se7en and really like Fight Club.

I'm leaning toward David Fincher in this throwdown.

Kris said...

I will have to go with Fincher. I like more of those movies. The only one I haven't seen is Zodiac. I liked alien 3 too.

I really like Memento, but I haven't seen the other movies, except parts of Batman Begins, which I liked.

My favorite movie out of all of these is both: The Panic Room and Se7en