Sunday, September 02, 2007

Director Throwdown: Andrew Adamson vs Brad Bird

For the fun of it, let us pit two hot directors against one another in Director Throwdown: Andrew Adamson vs Brad Bird.

Adamson, who was a visual effects supervisor for Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, has three directorial credits to his name: Shrek, Shrek 2, & The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witvh, & the Wardrobe (he will be directing the second Narnia installment, Prince Caspian, as well). A very impressive trio of movies but does it stack up against Brad Bird's movies?

Bird has worked on The Fox & the Hound for Disney and he helped develop the Simpsons from shorts on the Tracy Ullman Show into a half-hour comedy. An executive consultant on the Simpsons for several years, Bird worked on other animated television series including The Critic and King of the Hill. Bird has directed three movies: The Iron Giant, The Incredibles and Ratatouille. Talk about a triple threat!

So it boils down to this: Adamson's Shrek, Shrek 2, & The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe vs Bird's Iron Giant, The Incredibles, & Ratatouille.

Who do you think is the better director?

5 comments:

Lord Mhoram said...

Of the six movies listed the Incredibles is the best (followed by Narnia, and Shrek ties with Iron Giant for me. Shrek two was fun, and I haven't bothered with the Rat movie.

I'd give it to Adamson by a hair, just because he's done a live action movie, and a dang good one. Animation is in my mind lesser than live action, period.

Once Brad shows up that he can keep up his quality on a live action show, I'd give it to him hands down. Although having anythings to do with the Simpsons brings his quality ratings down, though not as much as if he had anything to do with South Park (which would automatically cause a "last place" in my rankings)

Lord Mhoram said...

Oh, and another addition - I'd rank Nick Park over either of them (Wallace and Gromit and Chicken Run) but he hasn't a third movie... yet.

Michael said...

"The Rat Movie", as you call it, is very, very good. Almost as good as The Incredibles. And personally, I thought Shrek, while quite funny, was not as good a movie as Monsters Inc. (which should have won the Oscar for Animated Picture that year, IMHO).

So while it's possible my Pixar bias plays into it, I give the edge to Bird.

(Oh, and you could include Flushed Away as Park's third movie, LM. Yes, it's CG and not claymation, but if looks and feels like Park's stuff. And he was the Executive producer or something, as I recall.)

Lord Mhoram said...

I only call it "Rat movie" because I didn't want to spell the title. :)

It's on my list to see. I still haven't seen Cars yet. :)

Kris said...

That is to hard for me to pick. But if I had to, it would go to Bird. But I do love all the movies.