Monday, September 17, 2007

More of my favorite films.

I previously posted a list of some of my favorite movies a month or so ago (check it out here). The list was incomplete so here are some more of my favorite films:

The Incredibles - This movie is pretty much perfect. As a fan of comic books and superheros, The Incredibles, with it's clever take on the genre, really made me smile. I grinned through the whole movie! Great flick! I'd give my entire comic book collection to see a sequel (as long as it's directed by Brad Bird).

Falling Down - Michael Douglas portrays a disaffected former defense worker who has a breakdown during a traffic jam. Robert Duvall (my favorite actor) plays a disaffected cop nearing retirement. One man breaks, the other heals. Duvall hunts down the broken Douglas and proves to himself he is still a good cop. An amazing film. Douglas's best role.

GalaxyQuest - A brilliant comedy that somehow pays tribute to Star Trek while lampooning it at the same time. Tim Allen, Alan Rickman, and Sigourney Weaver are wonderful and along the way we get a film that is both touching and irreverent.

Aliens - Best sequel ever. Sigourney Weaver returns to the Alien franchise and the past she thought she left behind. The fight between Sigourney's Ripley and the alien queen is one of the most memorable throwdowns in movie history.

Signs - A powerful film about faith. I think most people missed the point of this film thinking it was supposed to be something it was never intended to be. It wasn't a sci-fi film or a supernatural thriller. It was simply a story about a man, who in the midst of a disaster finds his faith tested.

Beauty and the Beast - The last great Disney traditionally animated film? This film had a great story, charming characters (even the untraditional villain was charming), breathtaking animation and truly great songs.

There. Several more movies that I think are great. Discuss.

3 comments:

Michael said...

I think The Incredibles is the best of the Pixar movies, and the best superhero movie of recent years (with Unbreakable in the running, too). Excellent choice.

Lord Mhoram said...

Nice list. Aside from Beauty and the Beast (which I do like, but doesn't come close to my top of the list), Every thing you listed was very very good.

Aliens is an action movie classic, Signs is one of the (if not the) best movies about faith that have ever come out of Hollywood). Incredibles is the best animated movie I have ever seen, and Falling Down is an amazing piece of work. When people start complaining about Joel Shumaker and talk about how he is a bad director, I hold up Falling Down as a counter argument (well and Lost Boys, and most recelyt Number 23).

Kris said...

Those are some of my top movies too. Funny!! :) I am glad that we have the same taste in movies, it makes it easier.