Monday, November 19, 2007

Favorite Characters from Fantasy Novels.

The following is an incomplete list of some of my favorite characters from fantasy literature. Be warned! Characters from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire series may be overrepresented.

Tyrion Lannister (from A Song of Ice & Fire series by George R.R. Martin) - A real-world dwarf (that is, he has dwarfism) in a fantasy setting, Tyrion is the ultimate underdog. Born into a family that is ruthless, powerful, and wealthy, Tyrion's only chance for survival in a world that is just as ruthless is to make sure his family--the Lannisters--stay in power. It's a sucky situation and his own family distrusts him, but every one else in the novels reviles him because he is a Lannister (even though Tyrion isn't like other Lannisters). Fortunately for Tyrion, he is very clever and usually is one step ahead of everyone who wants him dead--including some members of his own family.

Vladimir Taltos (from the Vlad Taltos novels by Steven Brust) - A sarcastic human is a world of snobby elves, Vlad seems to attract trouble. He has a knack for saying wrong things at very inappropriate times. Fortunately, he's an assassin and a witch. And a sorcerer. And he has four or five extremely powerful allies. Sometimes that's enough to get him out of trouble. Other times, it doesn't really help much.

Croaker (from the Black Company books by Glen Cook) - Croaker, a surgeon, belongs to the Black Company, an infamous mercenary organization. Croaker is jaded, weary, and has an unhealthy obssession with a evil goddess. Early on, the Company works for the goddess. But they eventually betray her. This, of course, leads to Croaker becoming the goddess' lover(?). Well, anyway, Croaker is an interesting character and his exploits are . . . complicated.

FitzChivalry Farseer (from the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb) - Another assassin on my list. And the bastard son of a prince to boot! Fitz is recruited by his grandfather--King Shrewd--to become the king's assassin. Coupled with his natural magical skills, Fitz becomes one dangerous dude. But not as dangerous as his uncle Regal, the king's youngest and meanest son. Fitz may be a good assassin but he loses his head and becomes a brawler in physical combat. So his adopted father, Burrich, teaches Fitz to use the ax as his melee weapon. I dunno, I knda like how this breaks the stereotype of the sword-wielding, calm-and-cool-in-battle protagonist.

Samwise Gamgee (from The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolkien) - The hero of the epic series is Sam. He does what he does not out of obligation or because it is his destiny or whatever. He does it simply because it is the right thing to do (and he is loyal to Frodo). That's my take, anyhow. One of the interesting things about Sam is that he is never--never--tempted to use the ring for his own pursuits. On occassion he uses it because he must. However, he not only doesn't think twice about using it for his own ends, the thought never enters his mind. That's pretty durn cool in a series where every other character--from elven queens to human kings to vile goblins to noble wizards is tempted. Not Sam.

Jon Snow (from A Song of Ice & Fire series by George R.R. Martin) - A bastard son of a pwerful lord, Jon has no place in his father's house so he joins the Nightswatch on his fifteenth birthday. The Nightswatch is a group of men that guards the Seven Kingdoms' northern border--the Wall--from wildmen, wights, and the ice demons known as the Others. They take an oath to do so for life. A good man, Jon still battles his temper and his cockiness. His adventures on both sides of the Wall (adventures political, social, and moral) both begin to define him as a man and define his legacy. His surprising successes and his demoralizing failures are fascinating to read.

There are more great characters I could list. These are but a few. But, hey, I don't have all night!

3 comments:

Kris said...

I really like the three that I know.

Lord Mhoram said...

Nice list, even if I only know a couple.

I'd have to re-read the pertinent sections of the books, but I do think Sam was tempted, but like Faramir or Aragorn, he defeated it. His concern for Frodo overcame any desire, however small, he might have had for the ring.

I'll have to wait a few more years before I can comment on the SoI&F characters. I'm waiting for the series to end until I read it. :)

Joe said...

Now I agree with Samwises' inclusion. I love that character. It was great in the book and also on the big screen. I think Sean Astin's turn deserved at least an Oscar nod.


Why?

Because he turned in the strength of Samwise. I guess I should clarify my problem with your statement. It was not of course about the inclusion of Samwise, but rather what I feel was a diminished projection of his actual intentions. I see what you are saying and agree in part. He does what is right . That includes (what you include in a parenthetical phrase as I just did that it also includes loyalty to Frodo) But he also and equally I believe does it out of loyalty and friendship and should not be relegated to a footnote or an added parenthetical phrase.


I do agree that the pledge he took to look after Frodo is key here, but I think that the loyalty (actually it is more devotion by the end and see how I embrace the odd parenthetical phrase as well as the next guy!) goes beyond the pledge itself yet at the same time going beyond just the "right path" but as to best way to achieve it. If it were just the right way he may have justified the end by wearing the ring.


For me at least I read a dichotomy of emotions as why not to wear the ring too long. One is that he sees the true nature of the ring and its evil...therefore your "right" but he also sees what pain it has caused his best friend and for me that is why he ever puts it in in the first place.

The cause, of course, it is Samwise's perception of right and wrong. But what gets him there....through each and every agonizing step up the mountain (which for me was one detail I missed in the otherwise great adaption) was not as much about his desire to destroy the ring at that point, but more about his desire to save Frodo. (Although both would have been nice in his mind I am sure!)


Sorry to rant so long but Samwise Gangee and Larry Underwood (google if you do not get it!) to me are the epitome of the cause AND loyalty group I have ever read. I will admit that Larry wins in my book for devotion to what is right, Samwise wins on the devotion to friends.


Just my two cents.

But I will again stress it was very well written and intriguing! I guess I should add in the end that I wrote papers in college about both Samwise's motivation as to that as to the religious overtones and realities of the book in which Larry Underwood appeared.

By now it has to be three cents worth at least... :p