Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Name for new White boy.

Well folks, my wife and I have decided upon a name for our son (second son, third child) three months before she's even due: Elliott. Elliott was my wife's maternal grandfather; technically he was her step-grandfather. My wife never new her biological grandfather because he was killed in an accident years before her birth. So Elliott Randall was the grandpa she knew. He passed away in 2002 only one day after the birth of my first child, Bobby.

Elliott is a diminutive (short-form or nickname) of Elias which in turn is a cognate (a cognate of a word is a word in another language which comes from the same root) of Elijah. In Hebrew, Elijah means "my god is Yahweh". Everything you wanted to know about the name Elliott, right?

What about middle names, you ask?

You read that right: names. My wife and I have a thing about giving our sons two middle names: we like it! So I mentioned my wife's grandfather, the grandpa she never knew, earlier in this blog entry, remember? Well, his name was Edward. Now if you folks have been paying attention, my wife and I briefly considered Edward as a first name for this new baby due July. It didn't win but second place ain't bad! Elliott Edward--sounds good, we're almost done! My wife's paternal grandfather's name was--are you ready?--Emery. I know what you're thinking: "You crack-smokin' hooligan! Three 'e's? And short 'e's at that? You sonuvagun!" So the kid's name--and it's a mouthful--will be Elliott Edward Emery White. Heh.

Elliott, as stated above, means "my god is Yahweh". Edward means "rich guard", Emery, which is derived from the name Emmerich, means "work power", and White means, uh, "white". If you have a punchline for this, please share.

So anyway, there it it is. A name for number three!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Name for new White boy had me confused. I was thinking white boy instead of White boy.

Elliott is short for Elias? How can the name Elliott, which has more letters and is therefore longer, be the short form of Elias?

Kris said...

His initials are EEEW. :) kinda funny. But I like it. My Grandma really likes it too.

Joe said...

Familiar form, really. Diminutive/short-form isn't always literal. But Elliott is supposed to have originally been a familiar form of Elias like Bobby is for Robert or Joe for Joseph. The fact that Elliott is longer than Elias isn't exactly unique as Johnny is a diminutive form of John.

The initials EEEW doesn't spell anything. If it was EWWW, well, that would be a problem.