Thursday, July 03, 2008

It's values that count, not theology.

Republicans criticize Senator Obama for not being open about his Muslim background (yes, Barack Obama has a Muslim background) while Democrats claim that questioning Obama is dirty because Obama has no Muslim background.

While there is some legitimacy to ask why Obama will not be open about his Muslim past, it's a bit silly for Democrats to deny that Obama doesn't have one.

To be clear, Barack Obama is a Christian who, when he was a child, was considered by some to be a Muslim because his father was somewhat Muslim (Obama's father was not a practicing Muslim for most of his adult life).

My position? It doesn't matter if Barack Obama is a Muslim (he's not) or a Christian (which he is) or Hindu or Buddhist or Jewish or whatever. I, frankly, don't care what religion a candidate belongs to. What matters to me is which candidate I share values with, not theology. I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and there are some active LDS folks I don't share many values with like, say, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada. Harry Reid and I may share theology but we certainly don't share many values and I would never vote for him in any capacity. John McCain, on the other hand, attends a Baptist church. We don't share the same theology. But we do have the same values. That's why I'm voting for McCain this November. Obama? We don't share any values so he will not get my vote.

My point? If a Muslim ran for president and did share my values, I'd vote for him. There are literally millions of Muslims who do share my values. I don't see a problem.

It is a bit funny that Democrats are trying to deny and distance themselves from Obama's Muslim background. Mainstream conservatives don't hold it against Senator Obama, why do the libs and lefties think average Democrats and unaffiliated voters will? Aren't we told by the left that it doesn't matter if someone is a Muslim? Aren't we beat over the head with ethnic diversity and multi-culturalism? Then why are Democrats making a big deal about Obama's Muslim background? Why isn't Obama more open about it? Isn't it an asset or, at the least, a non-issue?

Silly, little Democrats.

No comments: